Sunday, July 27, 2014

The will of Wells Morton

I often wonder how many other people are finding huge road blocks in their family history, as Capt Jesse is for me, as well as his wife's family.  Sarah Moulton/Morton's father was Wells Morton jr, his father was Wells Morton sr.  I think his father was Robert Morton, based on various things I've read about the Morton family.  Then BABOOM!  another dead end.  People are always saying about how cool it would be to have a time machine and go back to visit great historic happenings, or change things they wish they could change .... I'd probably spend all my time just snooping on my family and taking notes on who belongs to whom.
I have now transcribed the will of Wells Morton jr.  Unlike Capt Jesse, Wells did leave instructions on the care of his wife, so obviously he died before she did.  This contradicts the information I had so I'll have to do some more research to get that sorted out.  He also states that at the time he wrote the will he had 1 son and 8 daughters.  I have the son, Joshua, and 6 daughters ... and NO IDEA who the other 2 daughters are.  I know they often referred to daughters- or sons- in-law as daughter and son, but this doesn't seem to be the case. 
As in Capt Jesse's will, there are some spots that I couldn't tell what a word was and have put ??.  If anyone figures these words out or notices that I've misinterpreted something please let me know asap!  I will post a picture of the actual will on the Searching for Jesse facebook page.  There are also a couple of separate pages of this will written by Benoni d'Entremont (first French Acadian Magistrate of NS and Justice of the Peace) but they are virtually un-readable.  I'll keep at it and see what I can figure out.  In the meantime, here's Wells Morton's will:
 


In the Name of God Amen. I Wells Morton of Argyle in the County of Shelburne & Province of Nova Scotia, Farmer, being very sick & weak of Body, but of perfect Mind and Memory thanks be to God for it.
Calling unto Mind the mortality of my Body & knowing that it is appointed for all men once to Die.  Do make & ordain this my last will and Testament, that is to say principally & first of all I give & recommend my soul unto the hand of Almighty God that gave it & my Body to the Earth to be buried in a decent Christian Burial at the discretion of my Executor, nothing doubting but at the general resurrection, I shall receive the same again by the mighty Power of God.  And as touching such worldly Estate wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this life, I give, demise & dispose of the same in the following Manner & form.
First I give and bequeath to my beloved Son Joshua all my ? & personal Estate excepting three acres laying on the Southern end of the neck which is to be reserved for my daughter Kezia and the said Joshua shall take my beloved Wife Kezia in care & charge during her natural life or as long as she remains my widow, and shall provide for her the necessaries of life clothing and such like. 
I do also give to each of my Eight Daughters twenty shillings a piece, and at my decease all my stock of creatures such as oxen, cows, hogs, yet that remain, together with the household furniture and movables of all sorts shall be equally divided between my son Joshua and daughters.
I likewise constitute, make & ordain Benoni Dentremont my sole Executor of this my last will and testament, all & singular my lands ?? and ?? by his freely to be possessed & enjoyed.
And I do hereby utterly disallow, evoke & disannul all & every other former testaments, wills, legacies, bequests & executors, by me in anywise before named, willed & bequeathed, ? & confirming this & no other to be my last Will & Testament.
The above said ? legacies of sums of money I will and order shall be paid to the said respective legatees, within twelve months after my decease. 
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this twentieth day of May in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred & Eleven & in the fiftieth year of his Majestys Reign.
Signed, Sealed, published, Pronounced & declared by the said Wells Morton as his last will and Testament in his presence & in the presence of each other- have hereto inscribed our names
Wells Morton
William W Mathews
William Goodwin
Samuel Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment