Monday, January 6, 2014

Brand new year, same old stuff

Every time I log onto my computer or go researching at the library I have the hope that today will be the day I find something great.  I've had some small victories and they can add up to be big together, but I'm still waiting to hit the jackpot.  

I had seen a family tree someone posted on geni.com that showed Capt Jesse as part of William Gray and Lydia Anderson's family.  William was son of John Gray and Agnes Rose (McGowan?).  John was son of John Gray and Elizabeth (Parsons?).  I've dug around in that particular tree a bunch of times and William/Lydia do indeed have a son Jesse, born 1766.  The dates are plausible.  He had a brother named John Samuel.  But as much as I would love to have finally discovered where Jesse came from, I have my doubts that this is it.  Yes, the dates are good, but there are a few problems.  

First of all, there are no other names in this tree that carry on down past Jesse.  His descendants are consistently intermingled with a particular group of other names, I believe I mentioned this in my August 2 post.  Some of those names include Morton, Moulton, Mood, Goodwin, Andrews.  This other tree has none of them.

Secondly, William and Lydia's family is Irish, where Jesse was a Scot.

And thirdly, William wasn't a tory, where Capt Jesse and his brother Samuel were very much so. 

 I'm not ruling it out completely though, I just have no proof one way or the other yet.  Anyhow, like I said, it would be great if this is right, but I have my doubts.  I'm hoping this other researcher can show me some solid proof that this is it; in the meantime I keep digging.

No comments:

Post a Comment